Danielle Strickland has become one of my favorite speakers. I’ve heard her speak at Orange Conference for several years and a few other events. At YMX 2020, she spoke about how she is here to play so we can build something that lasts. Here are my notes from her talk.
- Holy = Other (we’re supposed to be set apart)
- Jesus says those who hear His teaching and follow it are wise, like someone who builds his house on the rock (Matthew 7:24-29).
- Wisdom is different than knowledge.
- Where does this authority come from?
- Real authority comes from a life that demonstrates the Gospel is true.
- Jesus didn’t just talk a certain way, He lived it. That’s a holiness and righteousness that the world needs to see—a life that is built upon the bedrock, rather than sand.
- Russian Orthodox Church believes the Beatitudes are the bedrock of their faith. They even set it to song, which helped them “get to the inside of people.”
- We need to build out faith, lives, and practices on the Gospel.
- The only way to know how much you love Jesus is how you treat others.
- Instead of building another program, rebuilding your church, etc., it’s time to love people.
- The Golden Rule is self-centered. Jesus’ rule is others-centered.
- How is your righteousness surpassing that of the Pharisees?
- Instead of an outreach program, we should have an outreach heart.
How are you going after wisdom rather than just knowledge? How are you choosing to focus on others? How are you constantly pursuing a righteousness that surpasses the Pharisees?
Be sure to also check out Danielle’s course on the “Beatitudes” from Jesus’ “Sermon on the Mount,” called The Creative Way Down, found at daniellestrickland.com.