A couple weeks ago, I began seeing people share videos of this youth group game. What was it? A real-life version of Hungry Hungry Hippos. After checking it out and evaluating the cost, I thought this is something we have to do with our students. This past Wednesday at The Middle, our middle school program, we played it, and it was a blast! We are going to try it this Sunday with our high schoolers.
What you need:
- One skateboard, rope, small bucket, and a large bag per team.
- A large number of plastic balls (the kind from ball pits).
- Have each team of 3-4 players pick a side.
- Each team gets a skateboard, rope, small bucket, and large bag.
- One player will tie a rope around his/her waist and lie down on the skateboard.
- The other teammates will push and pull their teammate.
- The “Hippos” will use the bucket to chomp down on the plastic balls, and bring them back to their team.
- When the Hippos bring the balls back, their teammates will collect them in their team’s large bag.
- When all plastic balls are gone, the team with the most wins.
- The ropes need to be long enough to let each Hippo reach the middle of the room, but no further.
- Instruct the Hippos to only collect plastic balls. Do not let them push themselves around. That is when fingers become exposed and get squished.
I hope you enjoy this game as much as we did!
One thought on “Hungry Hungry Hippos – Youth Group Game”